Thursday, February 28, 2008

gchat session with melissa

i met melissa my sophomore year at pratt when she was way too busy to really hang out but would randomly show up in people's rooms (check out picture 1-from sophomore year). mid-year, she recruited me to do a dance routine for an r&b group, legend, that opened for mobb deep at pace university. how she did that, i have no idea (considering i really suck at following directions) but that has been the story of our lives ever since.

although melissa is great at graphics, she majored in fashion at pratt and minored in causing trouble. she bullied me into modeling for her sophomore year fashion show where she put me in a very see-through top and white pants. by junior year, melissa was practically living in my room--she slept, designed and ate there. unfortunately, during senior year, the fashion studios swallowed her up and on the days she actually came out, she had no idea what day of the week or month it was. sigh...senior year....

upon graduating, she has been hustling her way through the fashion industry. i've personally seen her work grow and develop as well as mature over the years. somehow, she found time to live with me for a year in a 3 bedroom apartment (picture 2-from '06) where we laughed, drank, and shared some great times with our 3rd roommate, jessie.

at the flea on june 22nd, melissa will be joining geek dunkin' to sell whatever our little hearts desire. she's definitely going to bring something new and different to the table. check out what she has to say about fashion, life and designing below:

_________________________________________________________
Melissa: sorry i'm late
me: MELLY IN MY BELLY!!! i thought you forgot about me
Melissa: never. lol
me: better not. hehe
Melissa: :)
me: so melly, i just have a few questions i'm gonna ask...ready?
Melissa: yes ma'am
me: first and foremost, i must ask--besides being awesome, what do you do?
Melissa: lol
I'm an associate women's knit designer for regatta usa
I work on a line named metro 7
me: how has the fashion industry been treating you?
Melissa: It's been good so far, I've learned so much in the past 5 years
I love fashion. lol
me: that's definitely apparent
i know i get obsessed with certain clothes and shoes in my wardrobe--so tell me what you're obsessed with in your own stash of clothes
Melissa
: my leather converse kicks, my red patent leather pumps and hoodies
lol
me: you love your hoodies! i don't think you ever leave home without one
Melissa: yes i do
nope i never leave home without a hoody
me: i'm about to ask a cliche question
what inspires you?
Melissa: art inspires me and fashion from the past
me: which designers? or styles?
Melissa: military styles from the early 1800s, ancient greek statues
the edwardian period
as far as designer go, definitely cocoo chanel
me: so, besides rolling around on the floor and complaining about how stressed you are, what did you learn at pratt?
Melissa: hahahaha
I learned how to create my vision
I think its amazing to be able to bring an idea to life
I learned about the body and how a garment should fit
me: does that include putting me in a see through top sophomore year?
Melissa:yes
lol
you looked amazing
me: you're crazy
Melissa: lol
I also learned how to channel a million ideas into 1 cohesive group
me: what trend is really killing you right now?
Melissa: ummmmmm
bright ass colors in 1 outfit
lol
me: oooo anything else?
Melissa: don't get me wrong i like bright colors but there is a way to do it right
me: tell me how!
Melissa: the colors need to sit will together and complement one another
ooooh
i forgot there is 1 other trend i hate most of all
now guys are wearing tighter jeans. I HATE when guys wearing tight ass jeans hang the jeans off their ass
it makes no sense
me
: ooo why do they do that!
Melissa: or when they let the jeans hang off their thighs and their ass is completing exposed
its so bad. lol
me: who said that was cute?
Melissa: no one
smh
me: what's smh?
Melissa
: shaking my head
telly u should know that 1. lol
me: HAHA where the hell have i been?!?
Melissa: HAHAHAHAAHA
me: so what are you thinking about making for the flea?
Melissa: different leather patches such as gothic leathers, skulls and whatever else I can think of
earrings
maybe baby onesies
me
: CUTE!
Melissa: like maybe putting patches on the onesies
me: i need one of those for my nephew--so reserve one for me
Melissa: i will :)
me: so i'm going to write a few fashion trends, you tell me the first thing that comes to mind
ok?
Melissa: ok
me: coonskin hats!
Melissa: elmer fud
HAHAHAHAHAHAAH
me: wraparound glasses
Melissa: cyclops from x-men
me: shoulder pads
Melissa: flash backs of the 80s
i just got a shiver. lol
me: i wore shoulder pads at the age of like 7
i looked like a football player in pink!
Melissa: I did to, I hated them
me:
i guess we were all victims to the shoulder pads
Melissa: yup
me: i have one more question
Melissa: ok shoot
me: do you ever wear the same outfit twice?
i've seen your closet--it's INSANE!
Melissa: yeh i do. lol
it is insane. somedays I can't deal
me: has your closet broke? like back at midwood!
Melissa: no lol
me: you must have a sturdy closet now!
Melissa: yeh i live in an old building so everything is pretty sturdy
you know that don't build shit like they use 2
me: i hear you
alright melly in my belly
you're all done!
do you have one final thing you want to say?
Melissa: how's dunkin
me: she's crazy!!
as always
Melissa: i love it

No comments: